<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 21, 2003


I did my first catering job tonight.
It wasn't all it's cracked up to be. I catered along with two middle aged ladies who have been waitresses all their lives. We catered for a car auxillary group Christmas party. It was all old people and kids under six. The night was pretty much uneventful. Except for the fact that I worked along with the boss for the first time (he oversaw everything). He is a pretty intimidating guy to begin with. Never says anything unless you speak to him...and he answers very curtly. So the first thing he asked me to do was quite simple. Put water in the metal bins that go under the food. So I filled up the first one with water and brought it to the table, and he just looked at me. I could tell something was wrong. And he was like, "You are holding the lid, you know?" Stupid, stupid, stupid! I had the lid part upside down and filled with water. But oh well...an honest mistake...it could happen to anybody. So I finished filling them up. Shortly after he went to light the warmers below. And he looked at the water and looked at me and was like, "You did fill these up with warm water, right?" Did anyone tell me the water had to be warm??? No. I suppose it is common sense, but I was nervous...first day on the job jitters and all. That thought had not crossed my mind. So he handed me one to refill. And I did that just fine. And I saw him take one to fill too. And I went to fill the third one (so I thought) but it already had food in it. So I left it...thinking all was fine. But not too long after, he went to put food on that third one...the one I thought he had changed the water in. And he looked at me (again)...and was like, "Did you change the water in this one?" And I just cringed inside and answered sweetly, "No...I thought you had." Apparantly he hadn't. But it was too late...the people were all coming to eat. So we just left it and let the warmer heat it up. A few minutes later one of the other caterer girls made a comment asking if the water was heated. And my boss just said a simple "No." I nearly died. I was standing right next to him and wouldn't make eye contact.
Luckily, though...the night is over.

There was one interesting character. A lady. Dressed all in red. Red heels. Red silk pants. Red silk shirt. Red Christmas vest. Even matching red glasses. And then...
HUGE fake gold earrings...like, seriously, they must have been as big as her ears themselves. AND a matching gold necklace like you've never seen before. It was the hugest thing I've ever seen anybody wear around their neck. So big! And it was hanging from, you guessed it, a red rope. For real. A rope.

So my night wasn't as exciting as I had originally hoped. But, hey. There's always some story you can find in every situation...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?