<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 10, 2004


My horse-people experience:
So I get to the house and have to buzz at the metal gate to be let into the driveway. The driveway is long and windy and still covered in snow. I arrive and am greeted by a large white dog. The dog was a little cute, but still would have been scary if I had met it at night all alone. So I go to the huge front doors and knock. I see the lady peer out the window and then come to let me in. She was tall. And very proper, good posture and she spoke very curtly. But all of this was diminished by the fact that her entire head was covered in hot rollers. She must have had quite long hair too. But it was all rolled up in these curlers. So the next 20 minutes consisted of her talking, and talking, and talking...and leading me around this gigantic house. The house was fully furnished - expensively at that. And full of all sorts of weird and quirky things. Like a large wooden fork and knife hanging on the living room wall (probably have the size of me). And statues of two cats and a frog...fishing. She showed me everything - a lot of which was of no importance to me at all. Her five television sets, complete with two satellite systems. The five refridgerators and two deep freezes (one for meat, and the other for everything else). Her answering machine...and every phone in the house. The kitty-litter room. The storage room with walls lined with food. Seriously...lined! Like, there were 6 bottles of mustard for the two people living in the house. Who goes through 6 bottles of mustard! And then...
Then I was shown the north-wing. No kidding, the north wing. That is where I'd be staying. Complete with my own huge room with a queen size bed, a living room with a wall-sized television, a dining room area with a full table, an a fully-loaded kitchen with fridge (full of food), stove, dishwasher...you name it. And here's the thing. Besides being paid for house-sitting, they offered me free room and board for the summer in the north-wing.
But, alas, I do not think I will accept. I know, I know, you may think I am crazy. However not only does house-sitting involve taking care of the cats (which I hate!). There are three dogs. They are friendly...but can be viscious. They have special zapping collars because if they're outside together they try to run away so that they can go and kill coyotes. And they have to be let out first thing in the morning and again at night (besides being walked). But they refuse to do their business on their property. So you have to take them down the long driveway, across the street to do their stuff. And on top of all this...are the horse-duties, which she did not even show me. I have never worked with horses before! What am I thinking? And all of this would need to be done before I leave for the twenty minute drive to get myself to my 8:00 classes during the week. Whew! Oh yeah, and in the summer, it would include extra chores (like weeding, mowing the lawn, weed-eating, etc. in order to help with my room and board). Not that that is bad, but if I'm working full-time too...and possibly interning...yeah, you get the picture. Needless to say, it was quite an overwhelming half-hour visit. And the idea of house-sitting for rich people does not seem quite as grandoise as I had imagined. It seems like a lot of extra stress. And it's right during mid-terms. And I couldn't go away for reading week. And, and, and...
I just don't want to do it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?