<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 09, 2004


People are too damn selfish. Or lazy. Or both. Community is everything. Too many people grow up thinking they don't owe anybody anything, and that's complete bullshit. In fact, God aside, I still owe just about everything I am and know to someone. Someone fed me when I was little, someone taught me to read, write, speak, thing, walk. Maybe self-taught people have an argument, but not much, becaise no one is a self-taught 'person.' Communities and relationships make people. I owe myself to that.

And even if self-taught 'people' exist, and I guess maybe they do, it seems to me that to put something back into society would be a given, some sort of objective duty. Should such a person resent their background, they should try to improve others' lives; should they not be bitter, then they should be all the more happy to help others. As for the rest of us, there is no excuse.

Society is a collection of individuals, together. Individuals apart have nothing to do with society, and therefore nothing to do with relationship. No wonder self-reliant people don't need God; today's "bootstrap" successes are not heroic figures to aspire and admire after, but are today's great tragedies.

But who am I to judge people's selfishness? I pass by those one the street who need help; I hold back my wallet from straving kids in Africa. I voice no opinion in political forums. I'm just a pirate who does nothing. It doesn't mean I think my opinions aren't right, though. Even hypocrites can tell truth.

I'm frustrated by my own mediocrity; I am insufficient. I use this to justify my laziness, to no avail. But of the same token, why do doctors need to strive for so much money? Where are all the idealistic children who wanted to help people? Lawyers are supposed to stand for justice, not wealth and prestige. The politician is a pillar of truth, freedom and leadership, not of power, glory, and manipulation.

We all understand this, for we criticize these when they fail, but never do we uphold the standard to ourselves. We expect scandal, we downplay personal responsibility. Who the hell do we think we are, putting down those who try?


"Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher
But I flew too high"

"Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done"

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?